Thursday, April 30, 2009

Freezer Jam

What do you do when strawberries are 44 cents a pound at Basha's? You make jam! At least if you're me, you do.

Yep, that's right. I found strawberries for 88 cents for a 2 lb. clamshell and bought up a whole bunch. I already had the sugar and the containers.

If you have never made jam and it sound intimidating, it is not! It is so easy, especially if you make freezer jam. I actually prefer freezer jam; it has a yummy taste. And you don't have to seal jars for it to stay fresh. In fact, I use glad plastic containers because they stack well and don't take up a lot of room. You can also make jam from a variety of fruits and even jelly from apple juice! Just follow the instructions inside the Sure-Jell box.
Here are the quick instructions:

1. Wash and hull all of the strawberries, then blend them up in a food processor until there are only small chunks.

2. Measure the right amount of berries and sugar and combine them both in a bowl. Let that sit for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Heat a package of Sure-Jell and 3/4 cup of water on the stove to a boil; boil rapidly for 1 minute while stirring.
4. Add the Sure-Jell to the strawberries and stir for 3 minutes. Pour into containers and cover them.
5. Let it sit on the counter for 24 hours before placing them in the freezer. Make sure you put one in your fridge too!

Of course after I made all of this jam, I found out a way to use less sugar and buy a cheaper pectin. If you live in Arizona, you can buy a product called Ultra Jell at Shar's Kitchen/Bosch Center in Gilbert. Apparently, it is only $12 for a small bucket and so it is cheaper than buying boxes of Sure-Jell. You can also use less sugar with the Ultra Jell and still make freezer jam (non-cooked jam).

6 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm Lauren (Hardy) Nelson. I've been stalking your blog for a while and thought it was time to comment.. I'm a little shy ;)
    I have to say I love all your posts. You are super inspiring! I need to get crafty and busy.
    You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! Yes, I'm a "valley girl!" I was in between Lexi and Mckayla in school.

    Nice to "meet" you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren Hardy? Sweet, yeah married Dustin Nelson who was in my grade, how funny is this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i've been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share. Certified and Reliable LG Appliances Service Repair Orange County, CA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Acknowledges for paper such a beneficial composition, I stumbled beside your blog besides decipher a limited announce. I want your technique of inscription... Viking, Sub-Zero, Dacor, Miele, Thermador, Fisher & Paykel Repair in Isla Vista

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doctor Appliance Ottawa is a verified 5-star appliance repair company in Ottawa that can take the responsibility of fixing all fridge makes and models in Ottawa and several surrounding areas as well. So you don't need to ask, "Is there any good fridge repair near me ?" anymore, because here they are at your humble service! Call now to benefit from free same day service to fix your fridge.

    ReplyDelete